Malaysia is very well advanced when it comes to IT and broadband communication use. Broadband penetration is at an all-time high and it’s only expected to grow in the coming years. Four mobile carriers have also made sure that the mobile phone penetration will grow without fail. Indeed, the ICT industry in Malaysia is quite ready.
Projections in IT and broadband communication in Malaysia
PIKOM, the National ICT Association of Malaysia has projected a positive outlook on the ICT sector of Malaysia forecasting ICT spending to continuously grow.
- The 10th Malaysian Plan describes 12 engines of growth that requires ICT investment and this opens up an opportunity for the ICT industry as the master plan projects need to be fulfilled.
- Foreign companies can invest themselves in ICT projects in Malaysia’s ICT sector. Eight key ICT projects will be implemented through programme, Digital Malaysia.
- Mobile telecommunications are growing and private sectors need to provide more new applications for mobile use.
- Banks are now seeking mobile banking applications.
- Cloud computing has opened opportunities for more applications for integration.
- ICT security is needed more and this will open up more opportunities for companies to invest in the ICT security industry.
- Malaysia boasts of a huge number of ICT companies and opens opportunities for more companies who wish to compete.
IT and communication historical overview
- The government has decided to include ICT as part of their economy’s development utilizing the industry for the development of several economic transformation programmes.
- A government entity called MDeC aims to combine entrepreneurial efficiency and effectiveness of a private company with the decision-making authority of a dynamic government agency. This will ensure the success of the country and its several companies.
Future Malaysian specific trends
Malaysia does not set new trends but it does adopt technology from other countries and develop them. However, the country HAS developed an industry catering to Islamic banking and Islamic insurance, and Islamic based applications such as halal tracking and halal products supply chain.
Players in the market
Companies in Malaysia are optimistic. Local companies do not focus on a particular competency but will pursue any ICT opportunity. It will make sure to compete with the trending opportunity and leave the market when it’s fully exploited.
Here is a list of multinational companies operating in Malaysia:
- ATOS ORIGEN SERVICES
- CSC MALAYSIA
- CISCO SYSTEMS
- HITACHI ASIA
- IBM MALAYSIA
- KPMG MANAGEMENT & RISK CONSULTING
- NEC CORPORATION OF MALAYSIA
- ORACLE CORPORATION
- PARADIGM SYSTEMS
- SYMANTEC CORPORATION
- SAS INSTITUTE
- SAP MALAYSIA
The Malaysian industry offers a lot of opportunities in the ICT market. It has succeeded in a lot of ICT endeavors that it has left a mark in the country data of the nation. This opens up a lot of opportunities and will appear very appealing to the other countries of the world.